Friday, January 5, 2007

hello new year

Another year has slipped by. Hello New Year.

This is always the most sentimental time of the year. When you sit in front of the TV right before the clock strikes 12 and watch the past year's highlight of events. Some bad news, some great news... The 12 months just flash past in a blink of an eye. Suddenly you feel a surge of emptiness. It's like you were just there doing the same thing, sitting in front of the same TV doing the same routine when the TV announcer shouted Happy New Year 2006! Difference is, now the figure increased one notch. It all just happened so fast. Where and how did that time in between disappeared to? And it's now year 2007...

I was driving back home the other night, 3rd January 2007. First day back at work. I expected the traffic to be congested as it is still a 'lil early. Somehow it wasn't. It was a smooth drive home. 20 minutes but it is a calming drive. With music on, the streetlights dancing, and the colourful signboards that passed me by, it's just so amazing to think that I actually feel happy. I have always had this dark clouds looming above me, always dreading and worrying how things will turn out wrong. Ironically, with a long list of to do items specially in the office, for that quiet little moment, in my little vermillion Kelisa, I felt happy. Not that I am a miserable person, just a worrisome one. Almost like Eeyore in the Winnie the Pooh series. I wonder if it's the magic of the new year. Does it bring with it new hope, a new beginning, a chance to change and a choice to live your life differently?

One of my new year resolutions is to live a more balanced life. To have the time for myself and my other half. I was accused for being a workaholic. What a word. Friends tell me I spent too much time working, thinking about work and talking about work. I don't realise it till my body start 'nagging' me. An acute pain in the neck that spreads all the way down the right arm. Every click of the mouse send a stinging pain through the veins. And I have very stiff shoulders. My sleep is restless. I often wake up feeling like I have never slept. It makes me feel lethargic at times. Yes, they reminded me to be kind to myself. And so I realised. No matter how important work is, we need to mindful of our health.

Now year 2007 is here. There are many reasons to change and start anew. A long list of challenges awaits me. I can't wait to see how i fare this time round. May this be a better year. Wish me luck!

No comments: